Now that I’m back working again, I’ll be bringing a packed lunch from home most days I’m in the office. I find (especially since I’m still breastfeeding in the mornings, evenings and sometimes overnight) that I need something substantial to eat in the middle of the day and a few smaller snacks for mid morning and mid afternoon.
Lunch itself is normally pretty easy to get together – leftovers from dinner the night before, a salad using whatever’s in the fridge, or soup and toast on cold days. However, I always struggle a little bit with finding different types of snacks, especially ones that can be eaten both at my desk or out and about.
Enter Parmesan and rosemary biscuits. They’re delightfully savoury, have a wonderful cheesy flavour and pair beautifully with fruit…
I’ve used the very simple BBC Good Food recipe, making just one little tweak – I used Parmesan instead of the suggested cheddar. I would safely assume any hard cheese could be used, and paired with whatever herb took your fancy. Just keep quantities similar.
What you’ll need
- 80 grams of wholemeal flour
- 80 grams of plain flour
- 100 grams of chopped, cold butter
- 100 grams of grated Parmesan
- One small sprig of rosemary, finely chopped
- One large egg yolk
How to do it
- Preheat a fan forced over to 180°c. In a large bowl, combine the flours and rub in the butter until the mixture looks like sand or breadcrumbs.
- Add in the cheese and rosemary, mixing to combine.
- Add in the egg yolk, mixing with a fork until the ingredients come together. Then use your hands to further combine and knead until you have a smooth dough.
- Take pieces of dough and roll into small balls, placing them on a baking tray lined with baking paper. Use a fork to flatten the balls slightly and cook for 12-14 minutes (I let my biscuits cook for probably about 20 minutes as I wanted them golden and crunchy). You could also place your dough between two sheets of baking paper, roll it out and then cut out biscuits… but I went for the more rustic look ;).
I plan on eating my biscuits in the afternoon, with an apple and cup of tea. They’re just enough to keep you satisfied until dinnertime, and I love how the richness of the Parmesan pairs with the sweetness of the apple.
What are your go-to snacks at work?
Have a wonderful week.