An isolation project

Sewing machine, material, thread and zips.

Last week while I was putting away Paul’s washing I pulled out one of his old bassinet sheets. It wasn’t really a sheet per se, rather a beautiful piece of woodblock printed cotton from India that Paul had received as a gift at Christmas time. Since he’s moved from his bassinet into his cot the sheet hasn’t been used.  The main part of the material is a beautiful repeating pattern in dark khaki and rich light blue of a plant, almost dahlia like.  I decided it was too pretty to sit in the cupboard, so pulled it out and set to working on a little project…

The material looks really quite lovely against our dark blue lounge and after making a few rough measurements I worked out there was just enough to fashion up a pair of covers for some old cushions I had sitting in the linen cupboard.

I will wholeheartedly confess I’m not much of sewer. Apart from a semester in early high school, and fixing the odd button here and there I’ve never really tried to sew.  My mum’s quite adept, and Adam’s pretty good –  coming from a long line of seamstresses and tailors – so it was a little challenge I wanted to set myself, knowing I had a few people to call on should I need some advice.

A piece of woodblock patterned cotton material from India.

A few years ago Adam inherited an old Bernina sewing machine. It weighs an absolute tonne, lives in a hard green case and hasn’t had much love for many years. It’s been serviced and still works, so now more than ever, it feels like the right time to pull it out and try and give it a new lease of life.

The cushions remain a work-in-process.  With Adam’s help, we’ve pressed the material, cut it out and ironed on some backing material to reinforce it.  Over the next few days we’ll sew around the edges and (potentially with some help) pop in a zipper.   I can’t wait to see the finished product on our lounge and I love that these cushions will have a story – from the material, to the machine we made them with, and the period in time they were created in.

Looking down on a sewing machine surrounded by material, a pillow, zips and cotton.

Have you given something new a go during this time of homebound living?  How did it go… and have you discovered a new-found passion or hobby?  If you’ve got any sewing tips, feel free to pass them on!

Have a wonderful week.

M. x

4 thoughts on “An isolation project

  1. I love that print! Yeah, I tried to sew some masks, not so successful, but I am inspired to make some other things. I also found a bunch of old fabric from my Grandmother, old quilts that she started but never finished, I need to do something with that fabric!


    1. Oh wow, what a find Tiffany! Sounds like you’ve got some lovely fabric to work with and what a way to breathe new life into something old. Good luck with your project and stay safe. 🙂


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s